If you’re thinking about moving to Knoxville, TN, you’re headed down the right path – this wonderful city is an exceptional place to live, work and play. But what is Knoxville known for, and what’s it all about? This guide explains.
What is Knoxville Known For?
Knoxville is known for its friendly people, beautiful scenery and fabulous shopping, dining and entertainment experiences – but it’s best-known as the home of the University of Tennessee Volunteers and as the Gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains. When you live in Knoxville, you’re a short drive from everything our beautiful, mountainous region has to offer.
Related: Historical attractions in Knoxville
What Food is Knoxville Known For?
Barbecue is one of the city’s most famous types of food – in fact, you’ll find exceptional BBQ restaurants all over the city. It’s also a great place to enjoy a wide range of other foods. Some of our most popular restaurants, cafés and eateries include:
- Stock & Barrel, an on-trend restaurant with some of the best burgers in Tennessee
- The Tomato Head, a fun and casual pizza parlor dishing up sandwiches, salads and burritos, as well as many vegetarian dishes
- Not Watson’s Kitchen + Bar, a retro restaurant with a fabulous selection of regional craft beers
- Tupelo Honey, the best place to be if you’re looking for Southern comfort food and cocktails
- Sweet P’s Barbecue and Downtown Dive, where you can eat all the slow-smoked meats you can handle
Why is Knoxville Called “Scruffy City”?
The Wall Street Journal called Knoxville a “scruffy little city” in 1980, but after hosting a tremendously successful World’s Fair in 1982, the not-so-nice nickname started to fade quickly. Most people today call this thriving city Marble City, Heart of the Valley, Queen City of the Mountains or the Gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains. There’s an old joke about calling us anything you want, as long as it’s not late for dinner – but we’ll refrain from making it here.
What is the Main Industry in Knoxville, TN?
The largest industries in the city are retail trade and healthcare. There are several major companies headquartered in Knoxville, as well, and some of the area’s biggest employers include:
- Aluminum Company of America
- Blount Memorial Hospital
- City of Knoxville
- Clayton Homes
- Covenant Health
- Denso Manufacturing Tennessee
- Knox County
- Knox County Public School System
- Mid-America Corp
- State of Tennessee, Regional Offices
- Tennova Health Care
- The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- S. Department of Energy – Oak Ridge Operations
- University of Tennessee Medical Center
All About the University of Tennessee
The University of Tennessee is home to about 30,000 students, and people here are passionate about the Volunteers. You’d be hard-pressed to find someone who didn’t name them as a favorite sports team. The school itself is one of the most lauded in Tennessee, as well, making Knoxville one of the most desirable places to live in the state.
What Are the Best Neighborhoods in Knoxville?
If you’re looking for the best neighborhoods in Knoxville, you need to know that your definition of what makes a community the best may be different from our definition – but we can certainly tell you that some of the most notable and sought-after neighborhoods include:
- Belle Morris
- Colonial Village
- Downtown Knoxville
- Forest Heights
- Fourth and Grill
- Holston Hills
- Island Home
- Lake Forest
- North Hills
- Park Ridge
- Sequoyah Hills
- Strawberry Plains
Are You Buying a Home in Knoxville?
If you’re ready to buy a home in Knoxville, I’ll help you find one that’s perfect for your needs. Call me at 865-368-5150 now and let’s talk.
While you’re here, use this Knoxville home search – you can see listings instantly! You can also look at:
- Bearden homes for sale
- Downtown Knoxville homes for sale
- Halls homes for sale
- Knoxville homes for sale
- Norwood homes for sale
- Cedar Bluff homes for sale
- Farragut homes for sale
- Hardin Valley homes for sale
- Mechanicsville homes for sale
- Oak Ridge homes for sale
- Clinton homes for sale
- Fountain City homes for sale
- Karns homes for sale
- Norris homes for sale
- Powell homes for sale