If you’re like many people, you know that extreme weather is a threat to your home – but you may not know exactly how big a threat it is. This guide explores a recent study by Realtor.com® and HarrisX that shows how many Americans don’t know what dangers could lie ahead.
Statistics on Homeowner Knowledge of Extreme Weather Worries and Insurance
According to a Realtor.com and HarrisX poll that covered 3,026 adults, many Americans need to be more aware of the dangers extreme weather poses to their homes – and need a better understanding of homeowners insurance. Check out the results:
- 52 percent of American homeowners took natural disasters into account when they chose where to live
- 56 percent of American homeowners knew what to look for in a homeowners insurance policy, but 15 percent said they had no clue; and in the middle, 29 percent said they originally thought they knew what to look for, but discovered a lot they didn’t know during the insurance-buying process
What Natural Disasters Do Homeowners Worry About?
The survey spanned the entire country, asking homeowners which natural disasters they were most concerned about in relation to their homes. These are the results:
- 39 percent are concerned about tornadoes
- 38 percent are concerned about severe winter storms and cold weather
- 35 percent are concerned about floods
- 29 percent are concerned about hurricanes
- 21 percent are concerned about earthquakes
- 17 percent are concerned about wildfires
- 11 percent are concerned about droughts
So What Does This Data Mean?
Experts suggest that this data means many Americans assume that their homeowners insurance will kick in and cover issues caused by extreme weather, but that they may be wrong – especially if they don’t know what to look for in their homeowners insurance policies.
Are You Buying a Home in Knoxville?
If you’re ready to buy a home in Knoxville, I’ll help you find one that’s perfect for your needs. Call me at 865-368-5150 now and let’s talk.
While you’re here, use this Knoxville home search – you can see listings instantly! You can also look at:
- Bearden homes for sale
- Downtown Knoxville homes for sale
- Halls homes for sale
- Knoxville homes for sale
- Norwood homes for sale
- Cedar Bluff homes for sale
- Farragut homes for sale
- Hardin Valley homes for sale
- Mechanicsville homes for sale
- Oak Ridge homes for sale
- Clinton homes for sale
- Fountain City homes for sale
- Karns homes for sale
- Norris homes for sale
- Powell homes for sale